PVDF (Kynar 500 or Fluorpon) versus SMP (Valspar Weather XL)

Mary Ann Pope
1/17/2018
I am assisting with specifications for a large building (roof is about 40,000 square feet) on rural land in Eastern Ontario. The building will be used for public assembly, and will not be used for animal confinement nor will there be any animal contact at all. The slope will be 1:12. It has been suggested that we can use an SMP coating system (Valspar Weather XL). I have read that PVDF is a better system - but also that it is typically used for higher end architectural buildings. Is PVDF worth the extra cost? Thank you for your advice. Mary Ann Pope
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
1/17/2018
Do you have a specified roofing system/panel that you will be using?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/17/2018
Certainly many people would not agree with me but in my personal opinion, PVDF is always worth the extra cost. That said ... you're in an area of lower UV exposure ... the very low pitch of this roof likely has very low visibility ... so this does sound like a candidate for a loser grade paint system.
Mary Ann Pope
1/19/2018
The current plans call for a standing seam roof. Thank you.
Guest User
1/19/2018
Hi Todd and Eric,, Do you have any advice about standing seam versus other systems? Should we consider hidden fasteners for the roof? The cladding will also be metal - but there are overhangs to protect the cladding somewhat. Are hidden fastener systems worth it? Thanks , Mary Ann
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
1/19/2018
Mary, At the 1:12 pitch you are really relegated to a mechanically seamed standing seam. Other systems will not work at this low a pitch.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/19/2018
Ditto on the mechanically seamed for a 1:12 pitch. Mechanically seamed panels are clip fastened using concealed screws.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.