Brittany Williamson
Metal roof
10/27/2017
My contractor has started the roof. Told me if I had strapping it would cause divots after the first winter so it should be placed on top of shingles. Not sure it's supposed to look like this? He said the dimples were caused by raised shingles. I asked him if it was because screws were over tightened. Should I have him finish?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/27/2017
Several thoughts ... have you checked to make sure that is the correct fastening pattern as prescribed by the manufacturer? I would suggest not proceeding without getting with the panel manufacturer and seeking their input. The fasteners do look like they are over tightened. Did they put underlayment over the old shingles? They might be able to put a thin recovery board over the old shingles to help smooth things out and provide a more solid surface, and then the underlayment followed by the roofing.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.