What is self-sealing lapping?

Brad C
10/17/2017
I am installing Titanium PSU30 (self-adhesive Ice & Water shield) and I read that in high wind areas, if you are not installing the roof layer immediately after applying the PSU30, you should use "self-sealing lapping" on the seams to prevent uplift. What is self-sealing lapping exactly? And is there a preferred brand?
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
10/17/2017
It should be fine. Hit the seams with a roller (i.e. for bonding laminate) and it should be fine. That stuff really bonds as long as you are sticking clean to clean. Your underlayment should extend over the Ice/Water and have that cap nailed/stapled down to the roof.
Brad C
10/17/2017
I was told by the folks I purchased the roof from that the PSU30 would suffice as the ice and water & underlayment as I am covering the entire roof with the PSU30. It sounds like I should have another layer on top of the PSU30...
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
10/17/2017
The ice and water is fine for the whole roof, but I prefer a slip layer so that nothing sticks to the back of the metal panels.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.