New roof: Scratches along every seam

Guest User
10/5/2017
A professional pointed out to me that our recently installed matte black standing seam roof (McElroy Metal) has consistent scratches down every seam. It looks like they might've been caused from the clamping tool that was used. I'm concerned about rust and the fact that this doesn't appear to be a manufacturer defect and has likely voided our warranty. Do you have suggestions on how to move forward?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
10/5/2017
I would suggest you call your installer to start with. That appears, given the irregularity of the scratches, to be a result of the "seaming" process. I am not sure what they used, but it certainly was not done via a seaming machine.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/5/2017
Wow. In my opinion, this really isn't acceptable and must be addressed with any parties involved with producing or installing these panels.
Guest User
10/18/2017
Thank you both for your feedback. My contractor says this is "fairly standard, as there is no way to install a standing seam roof without using metal on metal". I disagree and I am yet to receive feedback from the actual installer or copies of our warranty terms.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
10/21/2017
Thanks for the update and hopefully you can get this resolved.
Guest User
11/2/2017
My contractor confirmed to me that our standing seam roof was in fact installed using a seaming machine. Why it put scratches along all the seams, I have no idea. No resolution as yet.
Dick Bus
11/2/2017
It appears that this was done with a machine that was not calibrated or it was done with hand tools. Judging from the pitch the seamer may have been slipping if not calibrated correctly. You may want to contact DI Seamers and ask their opinion. A snap lock panel should have been used if this pitch is greater than 3/12.
Guest User
11/4/2017
Any experience with Kynar coating on galvalume or aluminum getting scratched when the snap lock panel is locked down? Thank you.
Dick Bus
11/5/2017
a snap lock panel should not get scratched do to locking together. at least I have never experienced it.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.