stevo g
9/9/2017
i have 1950 built home using 2" roofdeck product made of celotex/homasote type material over the beam ceilings. From floor level looking up, my ceiling is the underside of this roofdeck/insulation material. It is a low slope roof. The prior owner put a rock asphalt tar roof on it, and by the looks of some window wood droop, and some of the celotex materail sagging as I look at the ceiling from inside the house, I deduced that rock roof was probably too heavy for that product. Therefor, I am removing the asphalt/rock roof and want to put standing seam metal roof directly over the celotex. When I take off the rock asphalt roof I am planning on replacing the celotex product with a homasote mfg., product of same dimensions and a standing seam metal roof on top of the material. Any special needs to use under the metal? Would corrugated roof be better here? Is this a proper application for a metal roof? What Type of fasteners to use into the celotex? or just forget using a metal roof, and go with asphalt shingles? thanks
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
9/9/2017
The low slope of your roof will dictate what types of products can be used on it. Asphalt shingles require a 3:12 pitch, as do many metal roofs. However, certain types of metal roofs can be used at lower pitches. What is your roof pitch?
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
9/10/2017
I am guessing you are under 3:12 if you had an old tar and chip roof on it. At that point, we are going to need to stay with a mechanically locked standing seam.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.