Standing Seam vs. Metal Shingles

Guest User
8/1/2017
Hello. I have been posting on this site to obtain as much information as I can concerning metal roofing. I had originally thought about a standing seam roof but lately have thought some about metal shingles. What is the general consensus among metal roofing experts concerning metal shingles versus standing seam? Please tell me as much as you can about metal shingles and pros/cons over standing seam. Info such as installation, performance, durability, cost and such. Thanks for your help. This site is great. Jeff
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/2/2017
Thanks Jeff. There are quality standing seam roofs and quality metal shingle roofs made today. I'd look at things like the paint finish quality, product warranty, interlocking of the panels, and the type and placement of fasteners used to secure the roof. Metal shingles have an integral airspace that can enhance energy efficiency but standing seam can be installed with an airspace. I will say this ... there are four different primary types of vertical seam roofs and, while they may all be referred to as "standing seam," that really isn't correct. Many folks buy these roofs without really understanding what they are getting. I do have an article that explains the different types. Drop me an email at [email protected] and request my article on the four different types of vertical seam metal roofs and I will reply with it. Of course, aesthetically, there are big differences between standing seam and metal shingles ... some will look better on certain homes than others. there is a Visualizer tool on this website (as well as many manufacturers have such online tools as well) that can help you determine what may look best on your home. I would say that proper installation trumps just about everything though. Regardless of what product you choose, you really need an experienced, quality, and caring installation company. Getting your product manufacturer involved in taking a look at your roof and making suggestions can be helpful to ensure a successful roofing project.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
8/2/2017
Really comes down to aesthetics in my opinion. Both systems are fantastic and if you choose a proper manufacturer and installer, should last a lifetime.
Guest User
8/2/2017
Thanks to both Eric and Todd for replying. Yes, aesthetics can play a very major role. Are some manufacturers "more proper" than others? I would think if a manufacturer is associated with the MRA or the other one, which I can't remember, seems to be all would be a good and proper manufacturer. Thanks all. Jeff
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/2/2017
MRA manufacturers agree to produce products that meet base metal and coatings quality standards established by the Metal Construction Association (MCA). Some manufacturers have gone a step further to get their products certified under the MCA program as well. Those companies are ATAS International, Central States Manufacturing, Isaiah Industries, and McElroy Metals.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.