Standing seam for coastal construction.

Guest User
7/10/2017
Good Morning. I have a housing development about to get started. The initial design considers standing seam metal roofing and I have a big concern about the corrosion for this material, The product is pre-painted and the warranty is for 30 years, though this not valid if construction is within 1000 meters from the coast. What would I expect to happen with this material? what would be your recommendations? Any feedback will be appreciated
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/10/2017
Thank you, Eduardo. If your application is within a couple of miles of salt or brackish water, I would encourage you to use aluminum rather than any form of steel. Copper could also be used. Aluminum roofing is available as standing seam but it is also available in various shake, shingle, slate, and tile looks as well. You should be able to find aluminum and copper products both which do not have any warranty exclusion for this application. Please let me know if you need help finding products.
Guest User
7/10/2017
Todd Thanks for your quick response. If client insist to use steel beacuse of cost, what can I expect be the lifetime of the product before start showing some rust? 10-15 years? And if you please tell me where can I find products will be appreciated. Kind Regards
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/10/2017
A great deal depends upon four things: 1) The quality of the paint finish on the product you choose. 2) The care with which the panels are fabricated and cut, to ensure no ragged edges or scratches through the paint system. 3) The radius of any folded edges or hems on the panels or trims. 4) The quality of the base steel. I am still not clear how close this is to the coast. In light of the above four things, rust could appear quickly if things have not been handled well. If all things have been done in as high quality of workmanlike manner as possible, and this is indeed right on a salt coast, I would expect 8 - 12 years before corrosion appears.
Guest User
7/10/2017
Thanks for your response Todd. Construction more ner to the coast will be around 30 - 50 meters. I will take your comments with my client.
Guest User
7/10/2017
I agree with Todd, you should only consider aluminum in this environment. if the project has a lot of hips, valleys and/or dormers then aluminum is the only way to go. Aluminum is a lot easier to handle and cut. Comparing 24 ga steel vs .032 aluminum with a PVDF paint finish the material cost for aluminum would be appx. 5% more. labor should be even or less when using aluminum. Considering the overall cost of a project the additional cost of aluminum is minor.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.