Metal Roof over 1.5" virtical battens

Guest User
6/7/2017
This is a new Passive House, in a rural area. I'm finalizing details before we build. Hip roof, pitch 6-12, Roof trusses 16oc, cathedral ceiling. Insulation will be 20" dense pack cellulose between top and bottom cords of truss. Primary roof closure: OSB with synthetic underlayment taped or ZIP sheathing taped. (unvented) 2x4 vertical battens, with 1/2" or 5/8" plywood decking, synthetic underlayment and Union Corrugated 1" Advantage-LokII metal roof. The primary roof is permeable and vent above. Thanks for any input you have.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
6/8/2017
So, I take it the plan is decking, vertical battens, more decking, and more underlayment, and then roofing? If that is the case, it sounds like a good plan for energy efficiency and ice dam resistance. I am not sure that underlayment on top of the lower layer of decking is really necessary but I see no harm either.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.