nailed flange vs cliped standing seam

Guest User
5/29/2017
I am going to install some .032" aluminum standing seam on a simple gable 8:12 cabin roof 100 yrds from the ocean. My local supplier has a choice between 1-1/2" Snap Seam Panel and 1" Nail Strip Panel (also snaps together but uses slotted holes for ring nails or screws rather than clips). He couldn't say which was better or the advantages of one over the other. I know if I use the slotted hole type I have to be careful to leave room for thermal expansion under the fastener head. PS I am installing myself due to lack of contractors willing to row over to the small island where the cabin is located! Do you have a recommendation?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/30/2017
My personal preference is for the clip fastened standing seam as I have seen better performance in terms of wind resistance. However, my recommendation would be to obtain uplift test reports on both products for comparison.
Guest User
7/31/2017
Does the nailed flange allow for any metal expansion and contraction? Would the clip version allow for for effective expansion and contraction?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
7/31/2017
The nail flange panels allow for some movement, if the fasteners are placed and driven exactly right. Yes, the clip systems are designed for thermal movement of the panels.
Guest User
8/1/2017
I wonder has there been any testing to verify that a nailed flange system can allow for enough movement to prevent any issues in the future, given the system is installed correctly. Would there really be that much movement of the panels over a range of temperatures? My guess would be a system with clips would involve more man hours to install than the nailed flange system. I know wood expands and contracts as it can be heard as popping and creaking. For some reason I can't imagine metal moving as much as wood. Probably my lack of knowledge.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/2/2017
Clip systems do take a little longer to install, plus there is the expense of the clips and, probably, additional fasteners. Clip systems also usually have higher seams which increases their cost as well. The maximum movement of a piece of metal can be determined ... based upon the metal type and the length of the metal. there are online calculation tools for determining this. Most nail hem panels have slotted holes ... if all fasteners are not over-driven and they are located in the middle of the slots, the panels can expand half the size of the slot which, unless the panels are very long, is probably adequate. The caveat being, as I mentioned early, the exact placement and depth of the fasteners.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/2/2017
Vinyl grows more and more quickly than metal in these cases and it has been installed successfully (if done properly) on walls via slotted hems for decades. If done correctly, both systems work quite well.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.