Guest User
5/13/2017
Our roofer told us white is the only color of metal roofs that have an energy star. If this is true, why don't more people have white? What are the cons? (We are seriously considering choosing white but want to know the pros and cons)
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/13/2017
This is not true ... thanks to reflective pigments (often called "cool colors), there are many darker colors that are Energy Star listed. Now that, said, the requirement to meet Energy Star is 25% total solar reflectivity and many darker colors may just barely meet that whereas white may be closer o 65. The downsides to white largely come down to desired aesthetics, and the fact that, in many environments, white roofs can look very dingy over time as dirt accumulates on them.
David Stermer
5/15/2017
Hi Addie, Todd is right on target for steep slope ENERGY STAR listings (roof slope > 2:12). Many colors meet the 0.25 initial solar reflectance requirement, including many dark colors. One caveat, for low slope listings (roof slope <= 2:12), your roofer is correct - just varieties of white perform at the 0.65 required initial solar reflectance. Again, I agree with Todd that aesthetics is the reason you do not see more white roofs. Regards, David
sue smith
1/3/2018
Can you go up on the roof and power wash it if it becomes dirty?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
1/3/2018
Its not recommended that you "power" wash i.e. with pressure. There are more than a few roof wash solutions out there that will work with regards to the removal of a majority of the biological growths. I would first start with the manufacturer of you roof and see what their approved procedures are and go from there.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.