Rick Quinn
5/7/2017
I'm gonna take off my old roof and put on a metal roof. Would it be overkill or problematic for me use ice and water barrier that is self adhesive to my entire roof as my underlayment.? I ask because I live on a bluff in the middle of Missouri it goes from -10 to 110 in the course of a year and being on a hilltop as I am I've seen rain from every angle sometimes I even think it rains upwards lol. So waterproofing is a major concern if mine. Currently I have decking that needs replaced after I take off 3 layers of asphalt shingles i would rather spend the extra now then have to pull up panels later to fix something. Thanks Rick
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/7/2017
I assume your roof has decent pitch to it. Ice and watershield on the entire roof would not be the standard course of action and would be considered overkill by some. That said, would there be anything potentially bad about it? The only thing I can think of is if your attic has inadequate ventilation. If that is the case, then ice and watershield would be a bit like sealing it up like a terrarium and that could lead to high moisture levels or even condensation and mold in the attic.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.