Guest User
4/9/2017
I'm currently installing my first metal roof over shingles. I started putting down underlayment today and was putting buttoncaps at every marked spot on UDl 25 . then went to every other one. Is it really necessary to use so many caps? It was really time consuming and seemed overkill but I wasn't sure.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
4/9/2017
The risk with synthetics underlayments is that, when the installed underlayment is walked on, it will pull against the fasteners and tear the underlayment. The use of a fasteners approximately every square foot is to prevent enough movement of the product that it tears against the fasteners. I know it's a lot of fasteners but my recommendation is to fasten the product where it is marked.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.