Mechanical lock vs snap-lock standing seam

Megan Sampson
3/1/2017
Let me first thank the MRA experts for their advice on this forum. For a standing seam roof (1.3 miles from crashing waves) that will be subject to wind driven rain, is there a strong consensus for mechanically locked seams vs snap-locked seams? One roofing contractor has recommended Meridian type Galvalume from McElroy Steel for my home. I am concerned for two reasons: the choice of galvalume 1.3 miles from the ocean, and Meridian type Galvalume is a snap-lock type panel. Thoughts?
Dick Bus
3/2/2017
you are far enough from crashing waves that galvalume is ok, but I am partial to aluminum. snap seam vs mechanical seamed does not matter. the spacing of the fasteners is the critical component. Particularly at the perimeter.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.