Megan Sampson
2/18/2017
I am considering purchasing a galvalume or aluminum standing seam roof for my home, located approx 1 mile from the ocean. Opinion is mixed from local contractors regarding the appropriateness of galvalume vs aluminum. Most feel very comfortable installing Kynar coated galvalume in my area (including 2 Metal roof alliance contractors) , and they seem little concerned about edge corrosion or surface rusting. A few contractors have strongly recommended aluminum( another metal roof Alliance contractor), but I'm concerned about durability if other contractors have to walk around on the roof.Who is correct, and why is there such a difference of opinion among reputable contractors?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
2/19/2017
All depends on the manufacturer and what their guidelines are. Most require at least 3000' feet from the ocean. Aluminum is the normal default application in anything that is considered coastal.
Megan Sampson
2/28/2017
Thanks for the reply. While I am located > 5000' feet from the ocean, are there any manufacturers of Galvalume that offer warranty protection for edge corrosion or surface rusting? Should I be worried about early (<20 yr) surface rusting and edge corrosion given my home location?
Dick Bus
2/28/2017
I caution you not to use warranty as a basis of quality. The major paint manufacturers of Kynar 500 state in their list of testing that the coatings have passed 1000 hours of salt spray when applied to a steel substrate. But passed 3000 hours when applied to aluminum. make sure you ask questions about the complete roof system. Underlayment, fasteners, spacing, ventilation to name a few. thanks for considering a metal roof.
Megan Sampson
3/1/2017
Given the difficulty a layperson might have in understanding all important aspects of the complete roof system, can I assume that by hiring a metal roof alliance contractor I will have a quality roof and installation?
Dick Bus
3/2/2017
yes, that is a safer assumption. ask the contractor who his sponsoring manufacturer is and check with them.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.