Roof jack silicone failure

Mike Kolder
11/19/2016
Hello. I have a standing seam roof with kynar coating and the the roof jacks were installed and sealed with silicone caulk. One of them was leaking into my home and I have a temporary piece of duct tape sealing it up at the moment. Iv read silicone works well, but after it fails the silicone needs to be completely removed because it will not stick to itself. After I remove the silicone completely, what brand and type of caulk should I replace it with? I want the best I can get my hands on, but I also don't want it to have the same "wont stick to itself" properties of silicone. Meaning, it can be removed and re caulked more easily because even though the roof is life long, caulk isn't. Thanks!
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/21/2016
I would suggest either a terpolymer butyl, or a co-ether, or poly-ether sealant.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.