walking on a metal roof

Douglas Varney
11/6/2016
We want to replace our asphalt shingle roof with a metal one. Aesthetics are not much of a consideration as the roof is on an addition that faces our woodlot. I often need to climb on the roof in the winter to remove snow and clear out satellite dish. Does having a metal roof preclude me from performing these chores? We will likely select the most economical option for this roof replacement.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
11/6/2016
You can definitely walk on a metal roof. The "how" depends on what type of system you install. If you are just walking to clear some snow, I would invest in a heated wire around that dish and stay off the roof when it is covered in snow.
Douglas Varney
11/7/2016
I understand the safety issue .. but I am an old Vermonter and tend to do these sorts of things ;-) I am likely to install a roof with exposed fasteners. Since I have no experience with metal roofs, I am looking for information about the effect of occasional walking on the roof would have in damage and leaks. The height and slope of the roof will make the climb relatively safe.
Eric Novotny
11/7/2016
Each panel will have specific walking instructions, but yes, they are navigable without damaging them.
Debbie Wigginton
1/10/2017
My husband is fixing to replace our asphalt shingles with a metal roof but my concerns are if the metal roof will be slick to walk on verses the shingles? He has to clean the chimney out occasionally and our roof is pretty steep. Thank you, Debbie
Eric Novotny
1/10/2017
I would suggest that you install some tie offs and walk the roof under harness for points moving forward. Should be safer that way all around.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.