Curved roof application

Guest User
10/8/2016
I have a curved, standing seam roof (installed in 1996) that needs to be replaced. The point at which the bottom of the curve meets the coping cap was designed poorly, causing ponding and leaks. Additionally, several severe hail storms this season have taken their toll. In addition to correcting these issues, I need to select the best product for this application. I believe the best option will be to go back on with a layer of ice and water shield (high temp) and then either a standing seam or some kind of interlocking product. Then the challenge, of course, is to select the right manufacturer. I'm am interested in what this group's thoughts are for this application. I've attached a photo to assist. Thank you!
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
10/8/2016
Opening up for comment
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
10/8/2016
To me it comes down what you want it to look like. Just about anything can be made to work there and despite the fact that it is curved, the open field simplicity of it is a benefit.
Guest User
10/8/2016
Thanks Todd and Eric. I'm looking at Pac-Clad and Berridge, which both have snap on and mechanically seemed products. Lots of variety in those groups (e.g. high seam, double-lock fold, integral). Since the roof slope flattens out at the top, I thought there might be a concern about an ice dam allowing water to build up and seep into a lower or single seem type product. Granted, we don't see much snow in Dallas, Texas, but we do see ice and sleet, which can build up at times. Appreciate your thoughts.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
10/8/2016
Should have pretty good drainage to it, but I think you will probably have more panel flexibility (as it pertains to shape forming) in a mechanical style lock. That is just a guess as I have never done any curved panels in large square footage, but it makes sense to me that would be the case.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.