Flashing detail for low slope tie in

Merrick Endres
10/3/2016
Hello, New 4/12 standing seam, transitioning to existing low slope (1/2:12), double layer, self adhered roll roofing. I see it's a common question, but I'm confused on the preferred method to install the underlayment and flashing. Is it best to have the flashing over the P&S like a valley or P&S over the flashing (drawing attached)? Thanks, any suggestions appreciated.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
10/3/2016
Are you doing this roof? Why not run mechanical standing seam on the low slope section? Either way, I prefer to run the low slope up the section with greater slope. Put your peal and stick over that transition and have you underlayment go over that. Have a bit longer starter piece that extends over the low slope section and acts as a bit of a valley (if I were doing it).
Merrick Endres
10/3/2016
Yes, I'll be the muscle. And why not redo the low slope now? Because it's in good shape and I'm cheap. Please confirm my interpretation: flashing applied over the underlayment and extended out onto the low slope for 3 or 4 inches (picture attached), Thanks
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
10/3/2016
Looks good. I would just make sure the transition flashing isn't super tight so that water can drain out freely.
Merrick Endres
10/3/2016
Fantastic! Thanks for the quick replies and the great suggestions.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.