Standing seams matching up

Jeffrey Bowser
9/29/2016
Hello, I am obviously new here. We are a roofing company in SE Florida, and have recently gone into residential metal re-roofing. At the moment we sub out the actual panel install to a local team of experienced metal installers recommended by my supplier. I have a job that just started this week, and the customer has sent my production manager a very nasty text message. I'll spare the details, but the upshot is he is bitterly complaining that the panel seams (this is a 1.5" standing seam panel) do not line up and that we better line them up ASAP. He is looking for the seams to match down both sides of the ridge, and our installers are adamant that the house layout, penetrations, etc.. is simply not going to allow for the seams to match (and they will be disguised by the ridge cap anyway). I'm just looking for more input from other installers in this subject. Thanks!
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
9/29/2016
Opening up for comment. It is normal though to try to line them up whenever possible but there are indeed situations where roof geometry does not allow them to line up, at least not in all cases. And, of course, across hip and valley lines, they will never line up if the pitches on the adjoining roofs are not the same.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
9/29/2016
+1 If it was offset for a roof penetration like a pipe boot, you can move those pretty simply. If it was offset for some other reason, there are scenarios where having them offset is the more correct way to complete the roof.
Jeffrey Bowser
9/29/2016
Thank you for the feedback so far. I don't yet have pictures, this all just happened this morning. Unusual homeowner, he was crawling in his attic yesterday inspecting I don't know what and complaining that nails were sticking through and demanding that we fix it. It's an old house, 1960's built, with a tongue-in-groove deck. I have a sinking feeling this gentleman will never like anything we do.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
9/29/2016
Get all your ducks in a row and have the facts on your side. Hopefully you can make him happy and complete the project. Most folks, not all, are reasonable.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.