Determining if the galvalume roof is the gauge specified

Candace Benyei
8/30/2016
We have a farm, and recently had several buildings re-roofed and a couple of new sheds put up by an Amish contractor. Because of my concern regarding snow load and wind, I had asked the contractor to put 26 gauge on the roof instead f the 28 gauge he uses for both roofs and sidewalls. When the project was finished, I noticed that the roofing metal seemed to be exactly the same thickness as the sidewall metal. The contractor admitted to making a mistake, and is re-roofing the structures. However, his men arrived this evening with metal that looks to me exactly the same thickness as what I already have. The workers showed me the bill of lading, which did say 16 gauge. How, exactly, can I tell what I have and what gauge the new material actually is? I am aware that the finish coating (both sides) increases the thickness of the material as does the galvalume coating itself. I put a micrometer on it and it measures 1/32 of an inch thick. The contractor's website advertises the Everlast II Traditional steel roof panels in 28 gauge steel as "28-gauge (.016) Structural Steel Grade 80 produced in conformance with ASTM792" and "True 28-gauge steel (before paint) with heavy-duty metallic coating is encased in abrasion-busting primer and Siliconized Modified Polyester topcoat to deliver enduring corrosion resistance and longer life. Wider blanks, deeper minor rib heights create a stronger, more durable panel."
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/31/2016
Even if the paint was removed, 0.03125" would be thicker than the industry norm for 24 gauge. I hope this helps. The gauge thickness normally stated / declared would include the galvalume or galvanized coating. (Most folks would work the numbers to include the paint finish as well.)

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.