Porcelain enamel roofing

Mike Gulatz
8/29/2016
Are there any companies today that manufacture porcelain enamel roofing ( a "glass" heat fused to metal system). This was a roofing material that seems to have been used between the 1920's thru 1960's (perhaps you are familiar with the orange metal roofing the Howard Johnson chain used). Baked enamel and powder coated metal roofing (paint heat fused to metal systems) can provide a similar look but are not the same material.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/29/2016
I am not aware of any. Is this part of a historical inquiry or do you think this roofing material provided you some particular benefit that you are after?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/29/2016
I will second Eric ... the Howard Johnsons roofs were the only ones that I was ever aware of that used that technology. And those roofs did last. About 20 years ago, I had tracked down that the tooling and equipment for those roofs were being "laid to rest" by the company in Michigan that owned them at the time. A couple of years ago, I connected with a porcelianizing plant and we worked some on designing a new product. I could resurrect those conversation but bottom line is that it was ending up extremely costly for today's roofing market. Feel free to email me anytime. [email protected]
Guest User
10/6/2016
My apologies for taking so long to check on a reply to my question. The question came up in regard to inquiries regarding insuring older properties that have these types of roofs. Owners of properties with these types of roof appreciate the look and durability of them, and when and if these roofs might be lost or damaged would like to replace them with the same material. Have found one source that imports a porcelain enamel shingle, was hoping that someone might be aware of other sources. Thanks

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.