going over existing tin roof

Bill Madore
8/18/2016
I have a proposed client who is looking for a new metal roof to go over his existing tin roof on a open porch. Is this possible? Issues I could see may be getting the fasteners into material securely. The home is a mid 1800's home. He is requesting a standard , standing seam roof. It is a porch with a low sloped turret as well on one end. Thanks
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/18/2016
No point in metal going over metal. If it requires replacement, I would remove the original roof, prep the substrate, and install the new roof.
John Willingham
8/22/2016
If his old tin roof is in good condition, then these is a scope of installing metal roof over tin. I will suggest you to convince your client for new roof installation.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.