Robin Sullivan
7/28/2016
Hello, First time to this forum. Glad to have it available. I'm building a new home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I'm having a standing seam metal roof put on (not panels - formed at the site). The specifications are: 24 gauge coated Gavalume (manufacturer is Englert Metal) The width of the material is 24" The standing seam is 3/4" in height The roof's pitch is 10:12 The house faces "mainly south" which means the roof exposure is mainly east and west. It's a 28' x 40' building with a few dormers and a covered porch (a-style) I think that means the panels will be 21" across? Not entirely sure. I don't believe there are any striations in the panel (so they will be flat). My question is does this all sound like a good configuration? I've seen some pictures of metal roofs that look really bad (maybe from oil canning and maybe from tightening too much). I want to do all I can to make sure that the roof has a nice appearance. So my questions are: Is the "width" too large? Should I be looking more toward an 18" panel width? Is the height too small? Should I be asking for a 1 1/2" height Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/28/2016
Oil canning can be caused by many things. Those things include inherent stress and formation in the metal, improper machine gauging, a roof deck that is not perfectly flat, and improper installation. Striations in the panels, backer rods behind the panels, and narrower panels can all be helpful. I really can't predict what your results will be but I do think that a narrower panel may be a good idea.
Guest User
7/29/2016
if a narrower panel is a good idea, what width do you think it should be? Also is 3/4" height a bad idea?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/29/2016
Based on your roof's pitch, the seam might may be okay. Again, there are so many variables ... I can't give you any exact answers. If you drop me an email at [email protected] I can send you the industry document on oil canning. I would suggest an 18" wide panel or, better yet, 15"? I assume that the panel you're looking at is a concealed fastened clip-secured standing seam and not a through fastened or "nail hem" type of panel.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.