heat reflective decking or just slats

David Vaculin
7/21/2016
I'm designing a residence to be built just south of Austin, Texas and need advice on what is the typical metal roof system around Austin. 1. Metal roof installed on only slats? 2. Metal roof directly on heat-reflective solid decking? or 3. Metal roof on slats installed on top of heat-reflective solid decking? Thanks.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
7/22/2016
What is the construction of the roof framing going to be? Vented Attic, vaulted ceiling, etc.? Over deck venting in conjunction with a reflective barrier (and airspace) would work well in Austin and Texas in general.
David Vaculin
7/22/2016
Thanks Eric for your reply. Roughly 85% of the roof framing will be vented attic space. The remaining 15% will be rooms with vaulted ceilings up to the roof rafters. There will be vented air space between the ceiling insulation and the roof decking.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
7/22/2016
Sounds like you are on the right track. If you were to incorporate some radiant barrier in that situation with vent space, it would make the convective air movement that much more effective. For those sections that will be insulated/vaulted, some exterior foam (foil faced ISO board) would be even better.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.