Do I need insulation on a metal roof?

Bonnie Feld
7/21/2016
I currently have an asphalt shingle roof that I need to replace. I have decided to get a Cool Metal roof! My roof is a Gambrel roof in a moderate California climate. There is no insulation under my current roof. It stays warm upstairs in the warm months (which I like) but it is cold in the winter months upstairs. I would like to know if putting a Cool Metal roof on will create a situation where I will have to insulate, or is the difference negligible? I do not use or have any AC, so that is not an issue. I just want to make sure if I put a Cool Roof on, that I will not experience a great loss of warmth in the winter months. Any information you can share, facts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Bonnie
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
7/22/2016
Generally speaking, beneath the roof is not the optimal place for insulation. It is better to insulate direct on top of your ceilings. Being a gambrel roof, though, perhaps that isn't possible. Is there any insulation now and where is it located?

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.