Soft spots over eaves

Rian Anderson
6/6/2016
First off, I'm very broke and can't afford even the cheap options but it needs to happen but I don't want to do it completely wrong and waste what little money I have. I have an asphalt roof with two layers on a traditional ranch, not too steep. I want to put metal over the asphalt, but... I have a couple small soft spots in the decking one one side in say the bottom foot of the roof (2 ft overhang on eave). I assume this is from ice dams. So, lets say I fix the ventilation in the attic and add insulation to stop the ice dam problem can I just lay the metal over the soft spots or do I need to tear it out? If so, can I just replace that bottom 2 feet or so or would I need to tear off the whole thing? I've already done this in one spot and it was a terrific pain in the neck. I would almost rather tear off the whole side, but then would have to pay to get rid of shingles.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
6/6/2016
I am very sorry to hear about your situation. If you can't get at least 30 or more pounds of pull out resistance with a fastener driven into the decking, I'd encourage you to repair or place the decking.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.