5v over foam purlins?

clay Ferriola
4/17/2016
I am getting ready to have installed a metal roof. My contractor wants to put foam purlins down over my existing shingle roof, then the metal over that. I am calling them purlins, but not sure if that is correct in this instance. Foam furring strips? Will that work? Is it correct, and do I need overlayment over the existing shingles?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
4/17/2016
I personally have not heard of anything other than wood battens. By all means I would make sure that the manufacturer of the roofing approves this procedure. And, yes, I would put down underlayment.
Lynn Noesser
4/20/2016
I have not heard of a foam batten but have seen a rolled (plastic type) furring strip. This may be to what the contractor is referring. I agree with Todd, either way, use the underlayment.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.