Tom Burrell
4/15/2016
I plan on painting my roof this weekend. I'm using cryl-pro primer and Sherwin Williams Industrial Acrylic DTM. The temperature is supposed to be 70 and sunny both days. Will the sun be a problem and if so, how much of a problem? Thx.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
4/15/2016
I would default back to what the materials manufacturer says. They are probably more concerned with ultimate surface temperature more than anything. https://protective.sherwin-williams.com/contact/
Tom Burrell
4/15/2016
I'll do that. The paint has a data sheet on www.paintdocs.com. Under the "Application" the temperature range is 40 degrees minimum and 120 degrees maximum. I don't think that the temperature of the roof will reach 120 degrees at 70 and sunny. But I should be able to avoid the highest temperatures by painting in the morning and early afternoon.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
4/15/2016
Sounds good. Post up some pictures if you get it done.
Tom Burrell
4/19/2016
I painted this weekend. Sunny 70 and 74 for Saturday and Sunday. The mistake I made was prepping for and attempting to use a sprayer. I didn't consider the need for backrolling and the sprayer clogged badly. Rolling was so much easier. If I had rolled from the beginning, everything would have gone as planned. The sprayer left a lot of puddling in between strokes. Those puddles of primer blistered some underneath the first top coat. I added a second top coat. As it is not visible to anyone unless they are up on the roof, I wonder can I leave a marble sized blisters alone or should I scrape, prime, and paint it? If I have to address them, can I wait a month or so before doing so? As far as painting in the direct sun, I wouldn't recommend it even at 70 degrees. The morning was OK. But by the early afternoon, the metal roof was too hot to touch. The paint was smoking a bit when I put it on (yikes!). But besides the blistering in a few spots, everything seems to be ok. What do you all think? If I'm going to have a problem down the road, I'd rather know now. Thanks,

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.