Aluminum Shake vs. Stone Coated Steel

Guest User
2/3/2016
Are there any circumstances or reasons Aluminum Shake or Stone Coated Steel would be a better product selection. I am in downtown Rocky Mount NC and not near salt water.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/3/2016
Both are well proven and vetted products. Probably comes down more to the aesthetics and what the consumer likes.
Guest User
2/3/2016
What about cost differential?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/4/2016
There will likely be a price difference. Aluminum is a more expensive metal than steel per square foot. Additionally, if you're considering an aluminum product with a PVDF (Kynar or Hylar) coating, those finishes are more costly than stone coatings as well. Thanks much for considering a metal roof and for doing some great research!
Guest User
2/4/2016
Thanks all - couple more questions. 1. So what would be a reasonable price differential of a Aluminum Shake over Stone coated Steel? Percent range. 2. It seems then there are no quality, durability or functionality differences between Aluminum and Steel, correct? Thanks
Eric Novotny
2/4/2016
1. Totally depends on who is quoting what and how. Costs of doing business are totally different from place to place and from business to business. 2. If they are both quality manufacturers, they should both hold up well. There is more technology in the PVDF finish technologies than the stone coating process.
Guest User
2/4/2016
Thanks Eric. All things being equal for installation, from a materials standpoint what is a reasonable materials difference percentage range?
Eric Novotny
2/4/2016
I haven't priced either out back to back of late so I can't really give you an idea there. Its probably worth noting that if you put a majority of you business into one product or another that you will probably get that product at a lower price point and the delta would therefore be impacted. Again, the larger determinant in my observation tends to be the panel type and aesthetics that the consumer is going for.
Guest User
2/4/2016
Thanks all. I found a site that gave a general twenty percent. Much appreciated

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.