placing metal roof on top of older mobile home

smila roja
2/1/2016
I hired a gentleman to put a metal roof on my 1985 mobile that I just purchased which was leaking & caused mold inside. I gutted inside & now I had this person put a water resistant tarp on top of roof temporaily until he could put a new metal roof over existing roof. He left the tarp & put the metal roof over it. Shouldn't he have taken off the tarp? won't it cause moisture in summer since it gets so hot? also a neighbor said it is possible to rot & maybe catch on fire? can you give me an opinion if I should tell him to remove it?
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/1/2016
Are you sure it was a tarp vs. a synthetic underlayment? I haven't seen an application where leaving a tarp in place makes sense.
smila roja
2/1/2016
it is definitely a water resistant tarp that I purchased at Harbor Freight that you can cover up something outside temporarily to stop rain from getting on things.
Guest User
1/21/2018
I have a 1978 single wide mobile home and it has a large he section of flat roof. I was wondering if I can put on a pitched metal roof Instead of every two years paying someone to seal it and worry in winter the weight of snow On the flat roof Is that a very expensive project ? Thank you
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/21/2018
Depending upon the current pitch, this could be a fairly involved project. There are, however, metal roofs designed for low slope mobile home retrofits. I would encourage you to look for a contractor in your area who specializes in mobile home repair.
Mark Schilling
3/2/2018

Can you move an older mobile home that has had a metal roof installed

Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/2/2018

Mark, probably but without knowing more details of exactly what was done, I really can't comment with more specificity.

Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
3/3/2018

Are we talking about cross country or to the other side of the lot? If the structure is good, it shouldn't move around much.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.