colleen thirkell
11/30/2015
I'm in the process of designing a standing seam roof for a farmstead conversion. The interior roof height will be approx 12ft. (single storey and south facing). I want to have venting on or near the ridge seam. All the venting I've seen seems to be permanently open for minor ventilation. I'm looking for venting that can be closed for winter to retain heat and opening for heat release in summer. I have searched the internet for pictures or diagrams of what I'm looking for to no avail. What I've found is either trickle permanent venting or large window openings. Is it possible to have near ridge-top hinged, closable, venting. Does anyone have examples and photos of possible methods of achieving this? many thanks for any assistance.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/30/2015
I am not aware of any vents designed to do this. I have heard of people making their own devices for closing off vents. I generally do not recommend ever closing off vents. It may seem like it would be helpful in the winter but it can increase your chances of ice dams on the roof and condensation in the attic.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
11/30/2015
You could mount and inline fan and hook it to a spring top damper.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.