would like unpainted galvanized on high bank waterfront ~ good or bad?

Guest User
11/26/2015
I would like the unpainted galvanized standing seam roof for my medium high bank property. To my dismay the supplier does not recommend Galvalume or unpainted Glavanized but rather the painted finishes. I did read on your site about ocean front and got a bit confused about materials that are appropriate for waterfront. To clarify Bowen Island is like being on the Puget Sound only in Canada..........so not direct on the beach, ocean salt water spray. but in the winter, the storms come straight at the house and we do get plenty of salt spray on our doors and windows. I like the LOOK of the unpainted galvanized. Its reflectivity is not important as the cabin doesn't get too hot and we have natural air conditioning in the summer. Mostly, since heat is so expensive in BC it would be ideal to be able to absorb and retain heat in the winter. We are removing the deck and adding more insulation, replacing the deck, putting down the "all weather liner" and venting the roof. Not positive of the order of the before items but.......all work being done by a professional roofer with good references. So, will unpainted galvanized be a waste of money? Would I be better off with a painted finish in my location? I do want the best value for my metal roof installation.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/26/2015
In your conditions, unpainted galvanized will likely show a good coating of rust within 3 - 5 years and significant edge deterioration within 7 - 10 years. I would expect replacement being necessary within 15 years.
Guest User
11/28/2015
Todd, are there clear painted galvanized roofs or higher quality galvanized materials that will withstand a waterfront location? Is galvalume an option for this look? Or should I focus on a metal roof with a painted finish? When the metal is cut on site for flashings and such aren't' edges exposed and then open to rust as well? A year ago I had all of my decks replaced and I went with galvanized mesh and galvanized railings for durability and low maintenance. My architect specified all the materials. I do believe that they sprayed the cut edges with zinc. I sure hope I don't see my deck railings rusting in the next 5-6 years.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/28/2015
The clear acrylic coated galvalume products have a coating that wears away due to erosion on about 5 - 7 years. It is a very low quality finish. If you should use clear coat galvalume, I would suggest minimum AZ55 quality. Edge protection is achieved largely by proper cutting of the metal. However, a quality paint finish, through it's use of pre treatment, does help enhance cut edge protection. For a warranted product, you may wish to consider an aluminum roof with a Kynar 500 finish, perhaps in a silver or gray color to get the look you want. You have a great view from your home. I do not think that any sort of galvanization can be sprayed don but they might have sprayed some sort of coating on the raw edges.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.