Bob Bryenton
11/22/2015
We are building a new A frame cabin with a 12x12 pitch roof. The 2X10 rafters are 24" on center. I would like to put a metal roof on the cabin, and have a couple of questions? 1. Do I need to sheet the roof? I am lazy and would like to simply strap the rafters with 2X4s and apply the metal roof to the strapping. 1. Do I need the felt under the metal OR under the strapping? My thought is that it will simply restrict the air flow if the roof is not sheeted.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/22/2015
I would never install a metal roof on this without decking and underlayment, no matter what some manufacturers or contractors may say. With this type of construction, there us far to great of a risk of condensation. You need a vapor barrier behind your walls / ceilings, insulation, vented air space, decking, underlayment, and metal roof to do this right ... and also to avoid ice dams.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
11/23/2015
+1 If you are going to heat the cabin, that roof will sweat like you are in a steam room depending on the climate. Between both the ability to insulated and long term durability, I think a solid deck is the way to go.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.