Adding overhang on mobile home

tony Gatto
wada up
10/28/2015
Hey guys I am gonig to put a roof on a mobile home that i rent out.... The last one i did i put down osb and made overhanges tying the osb into the overhang and running up the roof for support... then i put the metal down. However i have a home with a good metal roof, with a 2/12 pitch that has no overhang and the weather is getting in the doors and windows on the home.. Any ideas how to add an overhang with out having to redeck the old roof with osb/plywood? I was thinking hangers and 2x8 cut to length then screwed into the top plate.. tks
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
10/28/2015
Bolt a ledger of sorts into the fascia board, joist hanger from that, set the joists down a bit so that you can deck the overhang and terminate under the old roof, install new metal, and enjoy the dryness.
tony Gatto
wada up
10/28/2015
Thanks Eric,,, that sounds about right.... I was even thinking of furing 1x over top of old roof but using plywood on the overhand and up the old roof a bit to support the overhang.... However if i can get hangers to be in there and hold weight it will save me a bunch of dollars on the plywood.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.