danielle kutscheid
10/25/2015
I have a ridge line that I am trying to figure out what to do. It is not a flat ridge, there are essentially a single slope down in the middle of the ridge. And at the shift in pitch the dormers meet in the middle of the roof line as well. I am planning on installing a ridge vent but am unsure how to connect that ridge where it slopes down for about 8 inches and the dormers meet. What suggestions do you have for me?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/25/2015
Can you attach a photo or email one direct to me please? [email protected]
Guest User
10/26/2015
here is the ridge shift, and then 2 dormers intersect near the shift
Guest User
10/26/2015
here is the basic roof layout
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/26/2015
Thank you. would you use a non vented hip cap on the angled section(s)?
Guest User
10/26/2015
That is what I am unsure of. I am planning on doing a vented ridge on the flat sections for sure, but am unsure of how to handle that intersection?
Guest User
10/26/2015
We plan on using a vented ridge cap. But that is one thing I was unsure of if I should do the straight sections vented and then that shift non vented? And how would I make sure its properly sealed if its multiple connections? Also what trim could be used for that slightly curved down chunk?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/27/2015
Hi there. Well, I have been looking for photos showing this ... it's not a real unusual situation ... but I have no found photos yet. I would transition using the same part on that short hip section as on the ridge but I would block off the ventilation holes. The uphill section, at both transitions, should lap out over the downhill section. I will continue to look for a photo showing this done well.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.