Stucco chimney flashing

Guest User
10/7/2015
I tried to cut a reglet (groove) in my stucco chimney with an angle grinder I borrowed from my neighbor. He didn't know what type of blade was in it but it looks like a typical abrasive blade. Sparks started flying when I hit the metal stucco mesh. The stucco is very thin. 1.) Do I cut through the stucco/metal mesh to create the groove for counter flashing? 2.) Should I be using a specific kind of blade to cut through the stucco and mesh? 3.) Can I just forget the reglet and stucco over the counter flashing to seal it assuming my counter flashing has a "shelf" to attach the new stucco fillet?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
10/7/2015
1. Yes. 2. Masonry blade (diamond blade) should do the trick 3. You can, you are dependent on a caulking joint for water tightness at that point.
Guest User
10/7/2015
Eric, I got the diamond blade and it cut like butter into the stucco, mesh, brick...see attachment. The counter flashing (not yet ordered) I'll be using has a 3/8" barb on the end and the horizontal length (that slides into the slot) of the top counter flashing is 1-1/4". How deep and wide should I make the groove? Thanks, Beth
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
10/7/2015
Make the cut so that the flashing is through the stucco to the base material. If there is any water behind the stucco, this will act kind of like a through wall flashing to get it to drain to outside.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.