UL Certification

Willis Miller
We are Metal Roofing roll manufactures and are hearing some feedback from customers regarding Insurance Co's requirements that metal panels be UL Certified. Is this fairly widespread and becoming essential for Metal Roofing roll formers?
David Stermer
Hi Willis, Yes, my experience is that UL 580 - Class 90 for loading, UL 2218 - Class 4 for impact resistance, UL 790 - Class A for external fire classification and UL 263 for internal fire hourly rating are common UL certifications for metal roofs. Many metal roofing manufacturers have them for their products. They are even recognized in the IBC building code as a means of meeting code requirements. UL 580 is probably the most common. Also, as a manufacturer of metal roofing, I have found membership in MCA/MRA is invaluable in staying current with and participating in the direction of metal roofing requirements. Best regards, David Stermer

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.