Mary Kirby
8/17/2015
we have a ten year old metal roof that is starting to leak. The screws seem to be loosening up. Tar around some helped but leaking in another spot. Should we have all the screws tightened up.?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/17/2015
It sounds like these are exposed screws. Yes, they could be tightened though another option would be to replace them with bigger diameter screws.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
8/17/2015
+1 I would just replace them as Todd mentioned. Cleaner looking and will likely net a more dependable result.
Mary Kirby
8/17/2015
Thank you for your help. We will do what you recommend. Your closest recommended contractor is in N.H. Surely we can find one in maine near us, Mary
Dick Bus
8/17/2015
can you send pictures? it is rare that the screw hole is what is causing a noticeable leak. You may have problems with flashing details that are further up the roof.
Guest User
8/17/2015
Will try to get pictures & send tomorrow.. Where do I send pictures? Email?, Mary
Dick Bus
8/18/2015
[email protected]
Guest User
8/19/2015
did you get pictures?
Dick Bus
8/19/2015
No I did not. I did check my spam file and it is not there either.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.