Guest User
5/30/2015
Hi. I'm installing a corrugated metal roof. Area has fairly heavy snowfall and decently strong winds. Roof pitch is 12:12. Regular roof with gable end facing south. I've heard many varying opinions on this, but I'd like to know if I should install furring strips and spacers on top, purlins, whatever-have-you, or would it be fine directly on top of the membrane and sheathing?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/30/2015
Mike, tell me a bit about the ventilation and insulation in the attic.
Guest User
6/1/2015
I'll have to check with the owner and see what he wants put in, but I'm fairly certain it's gonna be fairly standard; slap some r-40 in the ceiling, and cover it up with vapor barrier.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
6/1/2015
Mike, There are better ways to do it to be honest. Are you tearing off the whole thing to include the sheathing?
Guest User
6/2/2015
New construction, actually. Just finished framing, sheathing, and tyvek last week. Nothing inside is done. I'll admit that I haven't done much residential, and even then it's been several years ago. Been doing only concrete for the last while. Figured this project would be a good opportunity to brush up and improve my abilities.
6/4/2015
Mike, Feel free to email me directly or to post up some pictures. You can design and implement a bullet-proof design by just modifying a few things and changing some decking selections. [email protected]
Guest User
6/22/2015
Camera lens on my camera is cracked, so I'll have to borrow one at some point. And, Joyce, it was originally gonna be a traditional stone chimney- but the owner wants to put in a wood stove and just have the chimney match the look of the rest of the house (maibec siding with some trim 'round the corners).
Guest User
7/12/2015
Welp, turns out that metal roof is beyond his budget, so we're going with regular shingles. Thanks for the help, anyway.
7/12/2015
When you run the math on metal, you will find that it is less expensive over its projected lifespan as compared to asphalt.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.