Right-sizing for residential applications

Steph McDougal
5/27/2015
I'm a historic preservation professional working with a major city planning department to try to provide guidance to property owners who want to install metal roofs on their relatively small historic homes. We have seen some instances of people using what I would describe as commercial-scale standing-seam metal roofs, with very large panels, that are visually inappropriate for a house. Could one of you experts point me toward any publication(s) that provide panel sizing guidelines/standards based on the size of the roof, or anything else that would help us in this situation? Thanks in advance!
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
6/1/2015
Steph, How old a part of Houston are we talking about? Ultimately, nothing that is produced or field fabricated today will be completely representative of what was used 100 years ago, but we wouldn't want it to be either. What will look right will depend on the home size and ridge width. The previous panels were probably some where in the 12-16" variety.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.