leon sikes
4/29/2015
I live in N.C. and will go to CO to install a roof on a house(daughter's) built in 1927. The roof now has 3 layers of shingles but for her to get insurance on it she has to have them removed. Not sure what i will find once i begin to take off. maybe have to re-sheet it. daughter would like a metal roof. I have done shingles many times but not metal. bought video about installing(put out by georgia metals) metal roofs and look sort of like doing tobacco barns ( done a few barns)so I think no problem. video uses the classic panels. the house looks in photo like a 2: 12 pitch. can anyone tell me where i can get metal in that area and would the classic panel work ok? i have only 9 days so need place to cut and get me metal in a week at least. thanks to anyone who can help!
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
4/30/2015
Metal Sales Manufacturing is an MRA member with a manufacturing facility in Denver: http://www.metalsales.us.com/ms/contact/branch-locations/denver-colorado#.VUH3Gqa25UQ
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
4/30/2015
At that pitch, your choices are going to be limited. Any pictures of the home?
leon sikes
5/1/2015
I will try and see if i can get a photo on here. Todd thinks for the info. i contacted them and they gave me names of distributors that sale classic ribs. I might have to find a contractor to put on the tin, if they can't get it cut before i have to leave. At least i can get the old shingle off and have it ready. that will save her a little anyhow.
Guest User
5/4/2015
sorry i can't get a photo but i sure its around 2/12. it looked in the photo that i did have (lost it) ..... can anyone give me the name of a contractor who i can get to install the metal roof. the house is around 900 sq ft. floor area. I'm afraid that i might not be able to get the metal to me before i have to return back to n.c.. I will get the old (3) layers of shingles off and have the roof ready for installation. they can contact me a 252 432 0916. this is my daughters first house and try to help her out.
Guest User
5/28/2015
I have two lawers of shaingles. they have some green spots growing on them. my house rafters are fomed. should i remove the old shingles. do i need to put down anything over the shingles if i leave them on?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/28/2015
Guest, it does depend a bit upon what sort of metal roof you're installing and how likely it is to transmit unevenness caused by the shingles. More textured metal roofing products are more forgiving. As far as the green stuff ... in my experience, it dies once it is sealed off from air and moisture. A layer of underlayment would need to be installed over the old shingles before the new roof is installed. Please understand that with two layers of existing, you will be outside of the International Building Code requirements if you install a third layer. You may technically be safe with a third layer but it will make it unlikely that you can pull a building permit for the installation.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.