Metal Sheathing for Quonset

Jeromeg Gunderson
4/13/2015
I dismantled a 40' wide by 60 ' long metal framed Quonset last fall. I intend to reassemble the building on my property this summer (2015). The corrugated sheathing was in rough shape (rusted) and by the time I finished removing the nailed down sheathing the curved sheets where not worth reusing. I am looking for an economical replacement sheathing The rafters, purlings and braces are all metal. The 6" deep rafters are 4' OC with the horizontal purling 3'-4 1/4" OC -- there are 19 horizontal purlings that run the length of the building. The purlings are a I beam configuration measuring 2 3/8" deep. There is one spacing of a purling run that is 4'-2" another 3"-10 1/4" OC. -- in the area of the rafter splices The Quonset was built the late 40' early 50's by Stran-Steel. The curve of the rafter is a perfect half circle with a inside radius of 20'. When adding together the 6" rafter depth, 2 3/8" purling the outside radius is 20" 8 3/8" the diameter is 41' 4 3/4". The old sheathing required five sheets to span the distance from footing to footing. --over the arch of the building and the sheets ran vertically with "tarred" seams. The attached picture is not mine but looks like the same building Where can I find sheathing for this project -- I am looking for a supplier.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
4/13/2015
Interesting project. Probably wouldn't be the cheaper option but there are standing seam extruders that can make that radius in a single sheet.
Guest User
1/11/2016
HI I'm interested in your project as I may purchase a building similar to yours. Could you provide a phone # so I could contact you and discuss?

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.