Guest User
3/19/2015
I have a Lustron home built around 1950 (here is link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustron_house) It has procelain enameled steel tiles on the roof. The roof appears to be in good shape after 65 years although this year for the first time we had a problem with ice dams and leaks during our horrendous New England winter. I would like to have solar panels placed on the roof but the contractor is reluctant to put holes in such an old roof. I am debating whether I need a new roof. Is it possible I could have several years of continued use with the old roof without solar panels. Do you agree drilling holes for solar panels would not be a good idea.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
3/20/2015
I agree that drilling holes in the porcelainized steel is not a good idea. Those roofs do last a long time. This was an especially bad winter for ice dams in your area. I suspect the roof has a number of years of life in it but that is hard to say sight unseen.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.