stick building - metal or shingles?

Ken Schmitt
3/2/2015
We will be putting up a stick framed (wood trusses) building to be used as a pet crematory. We have been told to not insulation the building area where the cremators will be housed. The building will be 24' x 40' and will have and office and meeting room taking up about 12' x 24' of one end. The office area will be 2" x 6" walls with sprayed insulation and the ceiling will have at least and R-38 insulation. It will be very hot, easily over 120 degrees in the building during cremation. We plan on using 7/16" OSB, house wrap and vertical metal siding on the walls. There will be 2 overhead garage doors, a 9' x 8' on the east (front) of the crematory and a 8' x 8' door on the west side. We will also have make-up air and exhaust fans per the manufacturers requirements with about 20 air changes per hour. We also will put in soffit vents and a continuous ridge vent system. My question is: with no insulation in the walls or ceiling, could we put down 5/8" sheathing, ice & water shield, and standing seam metal roofing, or would we be better off with shingles.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/3/2015
Are you planning any sort of vapor barrier? I am very concerned that you're setting yourself up for condensation issues.
Ken Schmitt
3/3/2015
We thought about putting ice & water shield over the 5/8" sheathing, but I don't know how we could get a vapor retarder under the sheathing. We want to keep the truss area completely exposed. there will not be a ceiling in the crematorium.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/3/2015
What you're doing unfortunately sounds to me like you could have some major condensation issues. What is the reason for not insulating this area? I assume it has something to do with not wanting to hold heat in during the summer but keep in mind that insulation also keeps heat out during the summer.
Ken Schmitt
3/3/2015
The heat inside the crematory area will be pretty high whenever the cremator is running. The exhaust fans will be set to kick in at about 85 to 90 degrees. The overhead doors will be open while operating, even in sub zero weather. None of the crematory operators that we talked to had ceilings in their buildings, they said the heat would be to much, even in the winter with the doors open. Maybe we could possibly spray insulation between the trusses against the bottom of the sheathing (I'm not sure how that would work?). I'm also concerned about the walls, they recommend not insulating them either.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/3/2015
Thanks Ken. I would certainly defer to any "success stories" of similar construction in climates similar to yours. My concern though is that when warm air with moisture content hits a cool surface, condensation forms. Closed cell spray urethane is a good insulator and vapor barrier. Again, though, I am by no means an expert in this particular type of construction. Have you been able to visit any crematoriums in climates similar to yours? In a warm and dry climate, I would not expect issues.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
3/3/2015
Ken, First off, that is a very interesting business. Having had several of my pets cremated, I sincerely appreciate your attention to detail and respectful handling of the deceased. Probably a bit detailed to get into it, however, if you want to email me your contact information, I will call you with my thoughts and suggestions. Thanks. Eric [email protected]

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.