Fastener Compatability With Aluminum Roofing

Al Thelas
1/3/2015
I have some aluminum roofing panels I am installing, and it is recommended that i use only aluminum or stainless steel fasteners. All the fasteners will be concealed however, and although it is damp for part of the year I am not near the ocean at all. For steel panels I've used the Teks style truss head screw, with no coating at all. I am curious about the galvanic reaction if I use regular or galvanized steel fasteners for the aluminum panels, given that they will not be exposed to any direct air or moisture other than what gets behind the panels? I understand why the recommendations are in place, but should I be really concerned about the concealed fasteners corroding and my roof flying off in 20 years?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/4/2015
Galvanic action can occur in the situation you have described. You may be fine for many years using a high quality galvanized fastener but I'd prefer you to be safe rather than sorry. The potential for problems of course increases the closer you are to the salt coast line.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
1/4/2015
+1 Don't skimp here. You could end up with a roof that is worthless 10 years down the road. I have seen dissimilar metals eat themselves apart after a number of years.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.