exposed fastners

Butch Reed
12/23/2014
I just had a standing seam roof installed over existing shingles. The eves of each panel were bowed up in the middle and when I said something to the installer about this, he went back and put a R-panel type screw in the middle of each panel at the eve. Is this normal? Also the painted surface of the roof is charcoal grey and the underside is white. you can see white on about 1" of the underside next to the eve. Is this the correct way a standing seam is installed?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
12/23/2014
Thanks Butch. Can you email me photos? [email protected] I am wondering whether you have standing seam or a through fastened panel. It sounds like a through fastened panel.
Butch Reed
12/23/2014
Thanks Todd for the quick responce. It is a standing seam and that is why we chose this type of roof, we did not want exposed fasteners. But the installer put screws smack in the middle of each panel. I will try to post some pictures by this weekend. I havent paid anymore to the company for installation and will hold payment of the roof until I am satisfied it is done correctly.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
12/23/2014
Thanks Butch. Well there are different ways panels can be installed. The preferred way on standing seam would be to lock the bottom edge of the panels over a starter / drip edge piece. It sounds like their installation method unfortunately was more like how through fastened panels are installed.
Dick Bus
12/23/2014
Butch, Todd is right. The preferred way for most manufacturers is for the panel to be hemmed under. This addresses several issues. Prevents fish mouthing of the panels, secures the bottom edge of the panel and eliminates the visibility of the backside of the panel.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.