Standing Seam Metal roof questions

Guest User
9/16/2014
I am located in Saratoga, CA and an looking to install a standing seam metal roof, and have a few questions that I hope the experts in this site can help answer: - One of the contractors is proposing to use ASC Skyline which I understand is 26 gauge product. What is the general sentiment about ASC products in general, and the skyline range in particular. - I talked to ASC and they said they have two 24 gauge residential products namely the skyline HP and design span HP. However, the contractor says that as per the manufacturer "the spans are not that long (ridge to eave) and specially since we would be putting a roof sheathing (OSB or plywood), gauge 26 is already more than sufficient." Should I still insist on 24 gauge. In general, how much cost difference can I expect between the two. - Another contractor said that panel styrations are necessary to prevent oil canning. Is this something that is done at manufacturing time or at installation time? - Opinions about whether a radiant barrier can/should be installed with a metal roof are diverse. One roofer said that I was wasting money. Another insisted that it was absolutely needed to reduce heat build up in the attic. I am very confused. The radiant barrier needs an air pocket to work properly. Where and how is a radiant barrier installed when installing a standing seam metal roof. thanks
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
9/17/2014
24 gauge is nice but 26 gauge is more than sufficient in most applications. If the panels are being made offsite, the striations would be made at the time of the panel's rolling. Radiant barriers can always be used and depending on the climate are a good idea. What happens most times is that they are used improperly and therefore hold little to no value. Radiant barrier require an airspace to work best and the barrier should be facing out if you have a cooling degree dominated climate to keep the heat out of the roof system. You have a heating degree dominated climate where you are in California (meaning that you spend more of your dollars heating your home than cooling), so application direction is less critical.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.