Ken King
8/8/2014
I expect you may have had questions about this product before but it has been only in the last few days (after a Web search) that we have realized the immensity and seriousness of this defective roofing. I'm writing on behalf of a church that had DLD install Dura-Loc roofing 11 years ago. Many people have experienced failure of this roofing and then found out the 50-year warranty is worthless. This summer we've seen what look like rusty areas appear but we gather from websites and forums that we are seeing the primer paint after the acrylic sealer and 'stone' coating have eroded off. Questions: 1) do you have advice as to how we might recover any of the money spent on this roof? 2) are there any class-action lawsuits underway? 3) what should we do to preserve the roof and return its appearance close to the original color? 4) is the Metal Roofing Alliance able to alert potential consumers to the danger of buying this product? Thank you
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/8/2014
The assets of Dura Loc were acquired by Gerard Roofing Technologies. My understanding is that the warranty liability remained with the original owner. Still, though, I think a conversation with Gerard might be helpful. I am not aware of any class action litigation. If the stones have worn off, I doubt much can be done. i am very sorry for what you have run into. Dura Loc no longer exists as an ongoing manufacturing concern.
Guest User
8/14/2014
If I am not mistaken, Dura Loc has already been sued and has been released of further liability. Any claims now would be the responsibility of Metals USA. I am not a lawyer, just a roofer...but there is a lot of info about this available if your willing to search the web. Cut and past from court doc's avail online via google search: "Eventually, on April 26, 2011, Metals USA filed suit against Dura-Loc, Reid, and Spriet in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. (SAC 23, 35.) Damages alleged included lost sales, injury to Metals USA's reputation and goodwill, and legal costs. (SAC 35.) A little over a month later, the parties entered into a First Amendment to the Settlement Agreement. According to the Amendment's terms, inter alia, Metals USA received a payment of $845,055.75 (CDN), and Reid and Spriet were released from their liabilities under the Purchase Agreement and the Settlement Agreement. (SAC 36-38.)"
Guest User
12/20/2015
This may be to late,I don't why it should be, but I have this roof installed it is Dura Loc. 1999. I was told it was a 50 year roof and warranted ? It is failing at 15 years rusting thru, is there any recourse to this event, 35 year premature failure is pretty serious. The previous lawsuit I read are for failure off adhesion of the 3m granules. I am not concerned with that but the failure of the product and its warranty claim. Can any one reply if there can be a legal action ?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
12/20/2015
I am very sorry for the problems you have had. Ultimately I think that Gerard will be the best one at telling you where the legal responsibility for your warranty lies today. However, I do not think that the previously stated lawsuit had any impact on that -- it was related to other matters.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
12/20/2015
After further review ... perhaps the lawsuit previously mentioned did cause Metals USA to accept all ongoing warranty liability. I am not sure. Again, they'd be the ones who can answer that question.
Guest User
12/20/2015
Thank you for your response. I'll await for Gerard's response. I can understand what was previously focused on in the court room was towards a different claim or action. I am simply concerned with the value of a warranty statement and of the consumers authority holding it ? even if a company goes out of business or even bankrupt. Somewhere the responsibility still should fall, and I believe this product is still being manufactured.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
12/20/2015
I agree that in this case it sounds like there is still warranty liability out there someplace. I just am not sure exactly where it lies. Gerard has also since been sold off by Metals USA, so that could be an additional complicating factor.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.