Cross batten - screening

pat k
6/21/2014
Hello, I have a few questions I have not found answers to while searching through the archives. My plan is to cross batten over an existing rolled roof (4/12 pitch). The roof has sagged due to several rafters that cracked. I have fixed the rafters (from the inside) sistering new rafters to them. The roof is now stable. I would like to shim the battens (shim the vertical battens, put down over old roof, centered over rafters) then lay the horizontal battens at 2’ OC. I would like to keep the airspace open between the new metal roof and the old roof. Is this a bad idea? I was going to install a ridge vent so that there is airflow through the battens up to the ridge. What is the best way to “screen” in the bottom edge of the roofline? Is there a metal screen or something like Cobra vent that I can use to keep bugs/ birds out? Thanks for the help, Pat
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
6/24/2014
I really am not sure there is a product designed specifically for this but certainly providing intake to that area will be helpful. I would suggest contacting Cor-A-Vent to see if they have a solution for this.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
6/24/2014
+1 Do not use Cobra Vent. If you are doing it in metal, you can likely bend up a screened metal on the installers trim brake as well.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.