flashing/metal roof

Guest User
I am not sure what to do with my flashing where the dormer comes out of the existing roof. The manufacture gave me the materials based on measurements but it seems if I apply it they way it is measured it will create an area for water to leak under. So my question is should I overlap the flashing at the point of the dormer and the main roof or does the roofing panels and ridge cap cover the small area not covered in metal?
David Stermer
C Monk, Thanks for your question. I recommend installing the dormer first and extending the dormer ridge back over the intersection of the dormer valleys and to the main roof. There the ridge trim should be cut and bent such that the main roof panels will cover the end of the ridge trim. Universal / field fashioned closures will be needed to close off between this ridge and the valleys. Regards, David

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Professional

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Professionals in your area for a free consultation and estimate.